Re: SHOOTINGS

Well stated Robert.

Ray Shreenan

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: SHOOTINGS

Donald-

Who's jumping where?

I posted about CCW & the halo effect thereof.

My study of  the subject (over 35 years) leads me to believe  that gun control is ineffective & counter productive

AND inflammatory rhetoric  .>>>>

red herring of the black helicopters swooping down onto the grassy knoll and disarming of the entire population.

What happened at VT was just…what….collateral damage?  Cost of doing business?  30 round clips and hollow-point bullets sold to a guy that had a history of mental illness and that's okay with you folks?   Man, I'd guess that wasn't quite the "halo effect" you had in mind, eh?

doesn't really help the discussion

There ARE people in elected office that would disarm the population if they had their way.

The incident at VPI was at least a 4 sigma event.
The VPI system & the local govt failed the victims BEFORE the incident occurred.

That guy had tons of red flags over a LONG period of time.
Lots of people knew he was a problem but no one did anything effective.

Based on his history (& federal law) he should have been flagged in the NCIS system but he wasn't......who's mistake?

I experienced a similar situation but luckily it was only the precursor events;  a student stalking a female student, very abnormal behavior,  a extreme loner............"this guy just wasn't right".

Campus police were contacted, they talked with him but really could do nothing.

We came up with our own "plan"
if  "so and so" shows up with a gun...."everyone run in a different direction, that way he can't get us all."

That was the best we could do......we were on our own

No credit to me (or  anyone else or school authorities or the police) events never escalated...............we got lucky.....
he either dropped out or graduated

Was the VPI incident ...........................collateral damage?  Cost of doing business?

NO!  don't think so!

But IMO it was a systemic failure of the campus community (school authorities, police & mental health professionals)

How many of his teachers notified authorities of his odd behavior?  I heard something like eight!

IMO this incident wasn't a failure of gun control,  there wasn't even a failure to  identify the problem..........
it was a failure to craft an appropriate response.

We're just lucky he didn't choose to do something worse

He was a deeply disturbed person & needed to be dealt with effectively  BEFORE he did something bad.

Bob