Let the floodgates open (was: SHOOTINGS)

Oh, what the heck...everybody else is splashing about in the pool...

I'm curious, Bob, which form of "pre-crime" detection and incarceration would you prefer. I like the option put forth in Minority Report, but good psychics are hard to find, and even the best seem to be a bit unreliable...one might even say "unstable." (naturally they wouldn't be allowed CCW) It also has a difficult effect of adding to the incarcerated population if you don't have an effective suspended animation storage facility. Of course, there's Orwell's recommendation that all the TVs simply be 2-way and on on the time (the latter already true in the US - the former being rolled out in the UK even as I type). The conversion methods seemed a bit harsh, though. Then, of course, there's Huxley's take - though I would caution that you'd better make sure the soma never runs out.

As for the 2nd amendment, If we're going with the theory that the populace should be armed to ensure that the government never believes it is beyond reproach by the citizenry, I think we ought to at least allow personal purchases of everything up to tactical nukes...with a voluntary background check, of course. When the government comes for me, I want to have a fighting chance. ;-)

Jordan

P.S. - for those who don't remember, back when guns were legal DC was always in the running - and often "won" - the title of Murder Capitol of the US (I know, I lived there in the 80s and 90s). I'm not sure you can show direct causality - there are always too many factors to be certain. Of course, I'd like to think it was Marion Barry's fault ('mayor for life'), too but - again - hard to pin down.

Robert Kazanjy wrote:

But IMO it was a systemic failure of the campus community (school authorities, police & mental health professionals)

How many of his teachers notified authorities of his odd behavior? I heard something like eight!

IMO this incident wasn't a failure of gun control, there wasn't even a failure to identify the problem..........
it was a failure to craft an appropriate response.

We're just lucky he didn't choose to do something worse

He was a deeply disturbed person & needed to be dealt with effectively BEFORE he did something bad.