Re: Manufactured housing foundations

This is exactly the discussion I was hoping to spark. I would say that most mfr homes in this area are built on dry-stacked block, and was curious how those offering HUD-financing reviews were handling it. Since there is no mention of even the bonding agent in the old guide, that puts quite a crimp in the resale market if everyone is actually enforcing the guidelines.

It's a shame that there is no official publication from HUD on the surface bonding cement.
Jordan

Gary Loomis wrote:
This is not consistent with Section 503-4, Masonry Piers and Walls of
the "Permanent Foundations Guide for Manufactured Housing" prepared by
US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development, dated September 1996.  It
states "All masonry piers and walls shall have mortared beds and head
joints".

www.huduser.org/Publications/pdf/foundation_guide_complete.pdf

Our experience when HUD financing was involved, they would not accept
dry stacked block even on homes installed before September 1996.

We went to HUD with a request to use a surface bonding agent and they
accepted this in lieu of the mortared joints.  A letter stamped by a PE
with backup calculations for dry stacked piers rejected.

Suggest you check with the finance company to determine the
requirements.

Gary W. Loomis, P.E., Senior Structural Engineering
Master Engineers and Designers, Inc.