Re: Using steel chains as concrete reinforcement??

I had a contractor indicate they had just finished a rehab project in which the engineer used to chains to reinforce the cells and then grouted them full.  I wouldn't go for it on our rehab project, but either they encountered the same engineer or this is become more common.  I would think you would need some testing to verify bond capacity.  I would also question how do you maintain tolerances with a flexible member?  Do you have one guy pull on the top of the chain while you grout it?

bks

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 9:03 AM
Subject: Using steel chains as concrete reinforcement??

Hi,
I'm working on a job in which the engineer is using a novel way to
reinforce CMU walls. He's using steel chains instead of rebar, inserted
from the top and then full grouted with 4000psi concrete. I guess he's
been asked to justify the process and so he's come to us to do an
evaluation. I was wondering if anyone had come across such a situation
before and could advice us about the viability of such a process.
Just from first glance, I feel that using chains as concrete
reinforcement would lead to local stress concentrations that could cause
the chain to break or yield locally. Perhaps it might be ok to use these
chains at a lower strength value than what they're rated for.
Thanks
ibrahim

--
Ibrahim Z Mohammad