Mold growth

Hi sport fans:

There is fungus among us :>)
Does any one have a handle on the average time it takes for leaking water from a slow leak in a plumbing line to create large areas of black mildew or mold on drywall from wicking up from the source?  This is not necessarily a structural problem but it can be  later when dry rot sets in.  This has become a critical issue with insurance companies who insure residential structures.  The policies for home owners generally don't cover damage due to long term plumbing leaks and now they are insisting on  written evidence that the damage was short term, a week or less or long term.
 On occasion, I inspect structural damage claims for  insurance companies.  One of the concerns by the adjusters regarding damage due to plumbing leaks is the time period from initial leak to discovery. In the past when I have found large water stains on dry wall or wood combined with significant areas of mildew or mold,  I have assumed that it was from long term water intrusion.  Now the insurance adjusters want it pinned down time wise but I don't know that it can be.  There are probably many factors that can affect the growth of fungus including temperature and ambient humidity.  In a residential kitchen, these factors I think would likely be minimal.
This last damage claim of this type was due to a leaking small diameter water line to the refrigerator ice maker and the wall behind the appliance had a large blackened area with several other smaller black areas.

Thanks in advance for any info or references you may have.

Ray Shreenan SE