new way of using chain

From: Ibrahim Mohammad <ibrahim(--nospam--at)aa-engineers.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Using steel chains as concrete reinforcement??

--------------060305010909000506060009

Hi,
I'm working on a job in which the engineer is using a novel way to
reinforce CMU walls. He's using steel chains instead of rebar, inserted
from the top and then full grouted with 4000psi concrete. I guess he's
been asked to justify the process and so he's come to us to do an
evaluation. I was wondering if anyone had come across such a situation
before and could advice us about the viability of such a process.
Just from first glance, I feel that using chains as concrete
reinforcement would lead to local stress concentrations that could cause
the chain to break or yield locally. Perhaps it might be ok to use these
chains at a lower strength value than what they're rated for.
Thanks
ibrahim
REPLY:

A failure of a chain is usually accompanied by local bending at junction
and the sides of a link coming together in process.

This should be largely suppressed when in concrete.

The chain should therefore be stronger.

Sincerely, Gregory from Oz