Re: Using steel chains as concrete reinforcement

Mr. Mark Gilligan,

I would ask the engineer who has designed with the chain for a copy of
his calculations.  I would be interested in how he expects the chain to
develop it strength or be engaged by the concrete matrix.  He might be
expecting the void space around the link to provide interlock but I
think the chain should be considered smooth and thus having low
engagement to the concrete matrix.  Does anyone remember how long
development length is for smooth bars?

The other question which has been asked in other responses is why would
you want to use chain for reinforcement?  Please let us know if he has
an answer.

What is the ASTM call out for chain?

Craig