alternative reinforcement...

That discussion on chains reminded me of a website I recently stumbled on where a US military installation on some remote Philippine Island where they used masonry and grout and bamboo for reinforcement. I guess it could be very good in tension, I have no idea the creep/elongation potential when compared to rebar, and I would be concerned with long term durability as far as insects and rot... But who knows, at least it will not corrode..?

But I guess this goes back to using straw and sticks to reinforce clay or mud structures.

So which 3 little pigs house would you rather have? I think I would go with the sticks if I could use some straps...

Andrew Kester, PE
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
Lake Mary, FL
BEGIN:VCARD