Re: Alternate design method

The switch from 1.4/1.7/et al load factors to 1.2/1.6/et al load factors
in the main code was in the 2002 edition.  That year they moved those load
factors from Appendix C into the main body of the code and put the "old"
load factors into the Appendix.

They also moved the stuff from Appendix B into the main part of the code
(i.e. the sliding phi factor for flexure as a function of the strain
levels/compression levels, etc...the so-called "Unified Design Method")
and the equivalent "old" stuff into the Appendix.

Section 14.8 was a new section of the code in 1999.  It is a section on
the "Alternative Design of Slender Walls" and since Appendix A bascially
points back to Chapter 14, this is likely the section that would likely
apply.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI