Galvanized Steel Tube Column

Title: Galvanized Steel Tube Column

Tom,

You might right on the cause of failure.  I don't think there were any vent holes in the members.  The top plate weld was touched up in the field which suggests that is was field welded, however it could have been oversprayed when touching up the field weld of the supporting member above.  There were 6 of these columns, only one has the split.

What bothers me in either case (bursting or embrittlement) is that if it was split prior to installation, I can't imagine the contractor actually installing it without repair.  The crack was even oriented away from concealment.  Maybe it was the iron worker's conscious hoping it got caught during an inspection.  This building has been in service for about 10 years.

Jared F. Keyser, P.E.
LCMF LLC