Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Galvanized Steel Tube Column[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Galvanized Steel Tube Column
- From: "Jared Keyser" <jkeyser(--nospam--at)LCMF.com>
- Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:04:04 -0800
Title: Galvanized Steel Tube Column
You might right on the cause of failure. I don't think there were any vent holes in the members. The top plate weld was touched up in the field which suggests that is was field welded, however it could have been oversprayed when touching up the field weld of the supporting member above. There were 6 of these columns, only one has the split.
What bothers me in either case (bursting or embrittlement) is that if it was split prior to installation, I can't imagine the contractor actually installing it without repair. The crack was even oriented away from concealment. Maybe it was the iron worker's conscious hoping it got caught during an inspection. This building has been in service for about 10 years.
Jared F. Keyser, P.E.
- Prev by Subject: Re: Galvanized Steel Tube Column
- Next by Subject: Gantry Crane Rail Blockout
- Previous by thread: Re: Galvanized Steel Tube Column
- Next by thread: bay bridge