Alternate Design Method

I recall you have to check the allowable bending moment based on allowable concrete stress, also:

M = 0.5 * f'c * j * k * b * d^2

Correct me if I'm wrong.  It's been a long, long time.

You could also get a masonry design book.  Masonry WSD is just like Concrete WSD.

Bob Garner, S.E.

R. Garner

Moffatt & Nichol

Tel.:  (619) 220-6050