Re: Alternate Design Method

Jim,

The basics are there.  If you understand the basics of WSB flexure (i.e.
can draw the strain diagram, corresponding stress diagram, and then draw a
FBD with resultants C and T and know what C and T are equal to), then you
can add in the axial load into the FBD should be able to go from there.
More than likely you should be able to find such a situation in a masonry
textbook.

That covers the basic principles.  But, you need to ensure that the code
provision actually match and use basic principles as well as what the code
uses as allowable stress values assuming it does use basic principles.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI