Re: welding spec for appearance

I assume you want the welds ground smooth.  Place in the specs that the welds are to be ground smooth and match the final finish.  Then have the contractor mock up a trial piece and have the architect and engineer evaluate their technique and results as part of the submittal program.  Once agreed on, the mock up sample is the goal for all the welds and the contractor knows exactly what is expected and what he needs to do.

Paul.