RE: Backing bar in RBS steel moment connection

This may be a myth but I've heard from others that it's difficult, if not impossible, to get good UT accuracy on a CJP with the backing bar left in place. I don't know if it's an experience issue or a physics issue but if it's fact then removal is critical if you want to confirm the adequacy of the welded joint.

Gautam Manandhar <Gautam_Manandhar(--nospam--at)ci.richmond.ca.us> wrote:
List members:

In a RBS steel moment connection, the expected plastic hinge is at the reduced beam section.  How important is it to remove the backing bar at the beam-column connection?  I am aware that in the pre-Northridge, fracture initiated at the bottom CJP joint.   Is anyone aware of tests done with the backing bar in place.

Gautam

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.