Re: NEWSHOUR report on the MacArthur Maze freeway collapse

In a message dated 5/10/2007 8:12:14 P.M. Atlantic Daylight Time, Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:
Following up on my previous message.  Having seen it I thought I'd report on the drift.

Excellent video, including of the actual collapse.  The segment concentrates on UC Berkeley Prof. Astaneh's attempt to learn from the collapse in his backyard; how he got a $25,000 NSF grant in *3 hours*, but couldn't get site access from CalTrans for *3 days*; how he compares this event with the World Trade Center collapse; how the rush to open the freeway threatened to "recycle" (i.e. melt down) the evidence before it could be adequately examined, until he intervened; how useful it was that he and the lead CalTrans site engineer both speak Farsi; how he discovered in his photos previously-overlooked column cracks; and how he recommends reducing the fire danger by distancing (raising) overpasses.  It also shows federal Secretary of Transportation Mary Peters stating that our freeways are "absolutely safe."  (I guess that's the new structural safety standard.)

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA