RE: ASCE 7-05 Wind Load and Publication Costs

If I understand correctly the IBC is revised every 3 years, here in
Australia the building code of Australia (BCA: 2007) is revised every year
and released roughly around May every year. Fortunately so far most of
standards referenced are not revised that often and for structural design so
far don't really need the BCA.

Some of the collections of standards available on CD ROM were introduced
with annual subscription pricing, access to the standards terminating each
year. This idea seems to have been abandoned, but increasingly annual
revision of codes seems to becoming the norm. The theory is that the current
code has the latest updates, corrects and amendments.

Though they have introduced another concept: re-printing and issuing with
the year the code was created, and the year a code was re-confirmed.

Most of it is being driven by the requirements of the Australian Building
Codes Board. Their objective is to bring codes referenced in the BCA up to
date, abandon them, or put the code in the BCA itself. Builders especially
don't want a car full of reference books on site. The printed size of the
BCA has been reduced in size to make it more suitable for use on site.

If annual subscriptions helps improve codes so that there is less
misunderstanding of meaning, and generates greater involvement by users in
creation. Then maybe it is a good thing, on condition that subscription fees
decrease as contributors increase, and the "state" of the code becomes more
static.

At present however, it just seems unreasonably expensive. Given codes are
written by volunteers mostly in Word, and publication to pdf is trivial
exercise yet the pdf documents are only slightly less costly than the
printed versions. I read recently that it apparently costs $1000(Aus.) per
page, to develop a standard. Like to know what they spent that on, given
most recent changes are really a matter of style, little to zero additional
research is getting into the codes.

Definitely seems like Dennis says!

Regards
Steven CONRAD Harrison