Re: ASCE 7-05 Wind Load and Publication Costs

The Nat'l Building Code of Canada is usually issued every 5 years although the last one took 10 years as it involved a major change. Cost of the Code and its Supplements is approx $300 Can, depending on what version you buy-soft cover, 3 ring binder or CD. It comes from the National Research Council of Canada. However it is a model code which is then adopted as is or added to by the provinces. The Onario Building Code which has added stuff on fire and life issues then costs approx $200 depending on the version. Then you have to buy the standards published by the Canadian Standards Association-steel, concrete design, concrete materials, wood, aluminum, forming and shoring, welding, etc which are all referred to in the codes but are separate documents, each at roughly $100 plus. The above organisations are not government owned but are non-profit(?) entities set up originally by gov't to operate solely on their own and pay their own way. I think they do a good job, the codes are very well written. My two cents worth.
Gary

Scott Maxwell wrote:
Then don't buy the Manual of Concrete Practice or the AISC Design Guides
or the AISC Steel Manual.  None of those documents are REQUIRED.  ACI 318
is REQUIRED (if you do concrete design), but it is only PART of the MCP.
The AISC Spec is REQUIRED (if you do steel design), but it is only PART of
the AISC Steel Manual and is available for free.  The rest of that stuff
is in general stuff that is not really REQUIRED by law and are purely an
optional purchase on your part.  While they might make your life easier to
do certain engineering tasks, they are not REQUIRED by law and you should
be able to live without them.

The basic required items in general are:

IBC (about $100)
ASCE 7 (about $100)
ACI 318 (little over $100 if I remember correctly)
NDS (about $30 if I remember correctly)
MSJC ($95)
AISC Specs (free)
relavent ASTM docs (you can get a book of relavant ASTM concrete docs from
	ACI and relavant ASTM steel docs from AISC and relavant ASTM
	masonry docs from TMS...I believe...so you don't need the entire
	ASTM set of books)
and maybe a few others depending on what type of work that you do

And some of those are not needed depending on the type of projects that
you might do.  If you don't do wood design, then you don't need the NDS.

All told that is about $500 to $1000 about every three years (although the
AISC stuff is not on a "fixed" schedule and neither is the NDS, I
believe...and ASCE 7 is going to a 5 to 6 year cycle in the future).
While that is not some small change, it is still not all that bad.  We all
pay MUCH more for gas to be able to drive to tons of optional things.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI