Re: costs of code, revisions, clarifications, seminars, programs and insurance

Keep in mind it is a two way street.  To my knowledge, ALL code commmittee
meetings (at least those of concensus based committees) are open to the
public, each and EVERY engineer out there is free to attend those meetings
and get involved and give input.  Further more, all concensus based
standards have a public comment period where engineers (and others) are
free to review proposed changes and offer up comments about those changes.
And if those comments are well founded and pertinent (as opposed to just
something like "this change sucks...fix it"), then they can result in
those proposed changes getting modified or even withdrawn.  How many
engineers out there take advantage to be part of the process even if it is
just to offer comments during the public comment period?  From my
experience, not many.  Too many are too busy complaining about stuff to
actually take some time to try and get involved and help actually fix the
stuff that they complain about.

To that effect, I will note that the MSJC (masonry code) is currently in
its 3 month public comment period until May 31st.  You can download the
proposed changed from the TMS website (www.masonrysociety.org).  And the
ACI 318-08 public comment period I believe should be happening sometime
soon.

I will also note that ALL concensus based standard committees to my
knowledge have a way where non-committee members can proposed changes to
the code.  For example, here is the link to the form to propose a change
to ASCE 7-05:

http://www.seinstitute.org/word/proposal_form_asce_7-05.doc

It is YOUR responsbility to be aware of what is going on in the world,
including changes to codes.  Expecting the leaders of some group (like
SEAOC) to tell what changes are potentially happening is just a false
hope.  After all, how many times has your Senator or Representative
called, emailed, or mailed you about potential changes to laws done in
Congress?  If you don't get involved then it is on you not them.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI