MacArthur MAze Collapse --Text, audio and video stream of Jim Lehrer News Hour Segment now on the Internet.

Dear Friends: If you have interest in the collapse of 2 spans of Distribution Structure (publicly known as the MacArthur Maze) in California, the text, audio and video stream of the PBS, Jim Lehrer News Hour segment on this, broadcast on Thursday May 10, 2007 is now on PBS site:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/jan-june07/overpass_05-10.html

A 4-person crew of PBS spent several days last week with our research team at the site and on Campus while we were conducting our NSF funded research on this structure and in my opinion, this segment, like all other items on Lehrer News, is one of the most high integrity and informative piece of television news. I am not saying this because of being in the segment, I have been in many TV segments over the years, but because of observing continuously the utmost professional journalism I saw how much effort was put into it by so many people resulting in just less than 9 minutes of news item.

There is a short segment in it in Farsi and for those who don't know Farsi, (almost 99.9%!), in this segment, I am asking Caltrans Senior Resident Construction Engineer Ramses Sargiss, "Can we( our research team) go up now?" and he responds "Now?, yes, let us go..". With his help and the help of others specially Bijan Sartipi, Director of District 4 , and Peter Strykers, Senior Resident Structural Engineer we are now able to collect perishable data as well as the fire-affected steel from this site as part of our NSF funded project for future studies. If you have any questions on any aspects of our project, please do not hesitate to send me an e-mail at astaneh(--nospam--at)ce.berkeley.edu.
Best wishes.
"Hassan"
Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor, Structural and Earthquake Engineering and Protection of
Structures Against Terrorist Attacks
Center for Catastrophic Risk Management (CCRM)
Contact info at: http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/~astaneh