Re: What do call your EITs?

On May 14, 2007, at 8:52 AM, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

What do you put on a business card? Do you call them engineers?
Titles don't mean jack. Everyone has one, most awarded in lieu of actual responsibility or compensation, so they've lost all meaning. Every employee in every big-box retail store is an associate or something with a similar sound; every salesperson is an account executive or some other puffy euphemism that's supposed to open doors. Then of course there's Decider--the biggest of all.

I use PE on my business cards because it conveys a necessary qualification to potential clients, like CPA and MD. Unfortunately, sets of initials after names also is getting very common mostly to imply some elevated status, as was common in Britain (eg. Acting Corporal Albert Snooks, PBI, NBG).

The best you thing to put on a business card is a simple indication of function, like mechanical engineer or engineer-in-training under his name. Using business cards to display corporate plumage is lost on most people.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/