RE: Hollowcore Slab Diaphragm Connection Detailing

Will,

I don't think there is a way of avoiding the topping slab.  There will need
to be a mechanism for transferring shear from the diaphragm (planks) to the
LFRS.  The grouting between the planks is good for about 85 psi(?), which
most manufacturers of planks say is typically good.  Depending where the
project is, the topping slab is required to act as the diaphragm, and the HC
planks essentially act as a form.  The one manufacturer that I've worked
with had a City of Los Angeles approval requiring this.  Yes, adding
anything to the planks will almost render the structural strength useless
because there is only about 1 ½" of cover to the strands.

Don't know if I've confused you more, but that's been my experience with
them.

David A. Topete, SE

Structural Engineer

  _____