RE: Structural Question about beam secured to top of proprietary shear wall panel.

The problem is that based on the load diagram if the beam is not really considered fixed, then the ends of the beams are moving up to compensate for bending and the connection of the top of the Hardy or Simpson SSW is pulling the ends down. So, is my conclusion that the reaction actually occurs at the bearing post in the proprietary wall closest to the opening? If so, I need to add a pad foundation below the existing to make the bearing pressure work.

Any thoughts? I don’t think the catalog handles this type of a question, but thanks for suggesting it.

Regards,

Dennis

P.S., there is a partial uniform roof load on the beam end above but not sufficient over a two foot length of frame to significantly offset the deflection upward of the beam end. Maybe I’ve confused you all :>)

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

C-41250 (Exp. 3/31/09)

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net

http://structuralist.spaces.live.com

http://www.structuralist.net (new site and services coming soon)

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return the original message to us at the above e-mail. Thank you.