From: Andy Richardson [mailto:chuzman(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:45 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Special Inspections and Insurance

List,
I am wondering what implications the chapter 17 special inspections program has on insurance.  I see special inspections as a good opportunity to get the engineer in the field, whether or not it is deemed necessary by the contractor or owner.  I believe that having the engineer involved in this process will 1.  improve workmanship, and 2. catch problems.  It also helps us learn for the next job!  Anyway, the principal and owner here feels that because it is "inspection" that we are "certifying" the project is built to plans, which goes beyond mere observations.  Further, he believes that these inspections will increase our insurance significantly.  In fact he is not sure we can be covered for this. How have others dealt with this issue?

Thanks, Andy