From: "Gautam Manandhar"
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Backing bar in RBS steel moment connection
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 14:55:31 -0700

List members:

In a RBS steel moment connection, the expected plastic hinge is at the reduced beam section.  How important is it to remove the backing bar at the beam-column connection?  I am aware that in the pre-Northridge, fracture initiated at the bottom CJP joint.   Is anyone aware of tests done with the backing bar in place.

Gautam

Bart Needham, SE
Principal, nbse associates, inc.
Office 206-780-6822