RE: Backing bar in RBS steel moment connection

As usual excuse my ignorance, but why only the bot. flange?

MB
-----Original Message-----
From: bart(--nospam--at)nbse.com [mailto:bart(--nospam--at)nbse.com]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 11:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Backing bar in RBS steel moment connection

At the beam bottom flange, the backing shall be removed.

At the top flange, removing the backing is optional. (continuous attachment to the column with a fillet weld is required)

My opinion is that leaving backing bars in place is a poor idea, however, it is often cost prohibitive to remove them, backgouge and backweld with a reinforcing fillet.