RE: Alternate Cold Joint Location

Option b bars will impose a restrained condition at
the connection, maby cracking the slab. It would be a
better solution to use smooth dowels at 2'-6" o.c. and
allow the slab to move slightly relative to the
foundation. The moisture penetration through the joint
should also be addressed. Sub slab grading and
moisture control play a role in the behavior of the
slab.

http://www.allendesigns.com/projects/20603/20603AlternateColdJoint.gif

>   Alternate A is the method shown on the approved
> plans.
>

>   Alternate B is what the contractor wants to do.
>

>   The dowels match the slab bars.
>

>   Should I have a concern about the request?
>

>   Regards,
>

>   T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
>
>   ALLEN DESIGNS
>
>   Consulting Structural Engineers