RE: Wood header out of plane load

Mark,

The way I have done these is to combine the fb/Fb for loads in both axis and making sure it is less than 1.33, (for wind), and then follow the load path at the connection at each end. The connection can get hairy @ the end- especially for a 22' span. Is it possible to brace with diagonals @ say 4'-0".c. back to the roof?

Larry Hauer, S.E.

From: "Mark L. Puccio" <mpuccio(--nospam--at)mpsqrd.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
CC: <solandt(--nospam--at)mpsqrd.com>
Subject: Wood header out of plane load
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 16:13:39 -0500

We have a 22' long header across a store front which supports only the dead
load from the infill wall above the header to the eave - a separate beam
supports the roof load.  The header frames into steel columns on either
side.

My question concerns addressing the wind load on the store front and
transferring it back to the steel through the header.  Do most of you in
practice design wood headers for biaxial bending? If so what about torsion?
What is the best method of transferring the out of plane reaction into the
column - some kind of Simpson tie?

Mark L. Puccio P.E.,S.E.