From: Doug Mayer [mailto:doug.mayer(--nospam--at)taylorteter.com]
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 10:25 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: High lift grouting

List,

I have a CMU wall building in Washington (state) being built that has fully grouted walls and reinforcing at 8” o.c. each way.  The contractor wants to do high lift grouting in lieu of the low-lifts, which is fine with me.  However, the topic of cleanouts has become an issue and I’m not sure of the correct answer.

They would like to do cleanouts at 32” o.c., but I know that older codes and the Concrete Masonry Association of California and Nevada specify that cleanouts are to occur at each vertical cell with reinforcing, or continuous special inspection is to be provided.  But, looking at the IBC 2003 and ACI 530-02 – the codes for this project – I can’t seem to find any reference or specification for cleanout requirements.  Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer

TaylorTeter