RE: Sheffield Joists

The bar joist section of Sheffield was sold to Armco. I believe this happened in the early 197'0s. I know Armco owned them in the mid 1970's. Armco changed the chords to cold formed hat sections to make the J series which did not last long until they went to 50 grade steel and went to the H series.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: Michael Hemstad <mhemstad(--nospam--at)mbjeng.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Sheffield Joists
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:52:50 -0500

I have a joist tag from a 14 inch open-web bar joist that reads "1678 146-195F" and which was made by the Sheffield Steel Corporation. The joist chords are hot-rolled angles.

I don't know when the structure (a mezzanine floor) was built; a reasonable guess would be the 1970's or 1980's, but it is an addition to a much older building and we have no drawings.

I've looked through the SJI 50 Year Digest, but without knowing when it was built, I don't get very far.

Does anyone know how to determine what type of joist (S, H, J, etc.) this tag comes from? I have some old Sheffield tables, but again without more information I come up short.

Thanks for any help.

Mike Hemstad
MBJ
Minneapolis, Minnesota