Re: Large Bay 'X' Bracing

Another material consideration is back to back MC's.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Large Bay 'X' Bracing
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:21:18 -0700

Rich,

Assuming you are comfortable with tension only bracing then you might
consider a different section type such as double angles, WTs, or HSS
tubes.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Rich Lewis" <seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
05/29/2007 04:00 PM
Please respond to seaint

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc

Subject
Large Bay 'X' Bracing

I have a warehouse condition of a â??Xâ?? braced bay that is 31 feet high and
42 feet wide.  The diagonal length is over 51 feet.   Iâ??m wondering if I
should try to use the bracing as one large bay, or add a wind column in
the middle and have two smaller bays.  The bracing is tension only for
wind loads.  The load in the diagonal is about 21 kips.  What makes me
most uneasy is the slenderness ratio of the brace.  If I try to limit the
L/r ratio of the out of plane axis to 300 then I get extremely large
angles.  If I ad a column I add almost 50% more bracing length, plus
column and footing.

Thanks for your insight.

Rich