Re: Large Bay 'X' Bracing

I would use 1-1/2" dia rods and turnbuckles, should be worth about 33K

             Padmanabhan
             Rajendran
             <rakamaka@yahoo.c                                          To
             om>                       seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                                                                        cc
             05/30/2007 08:02
                                       Re: Large Bay 'X' Bracing

             Please respond to
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

I see that my earlier response has not found its way to the list, yet.

In that I stated that the limit on L/r is not mandatory anymore (AISC 13th
Ed) and that any section fulfilling force requirement would be adequate.
For example, C6X8.2. However, I overlooked the effect of the member's self
weight. C6X8.2 may deflect more than 1.25" under its own weight. W14X26, on
the other hand, deflects less than 3/8".

Anyway, if you forget about L/r<300 requirement you may have multiple
choices. Just remember the deflection under self weight. If the sag is too
much(what is too much?), it may be too late before the brace comes in to
play.

Rajendran

Rich Lewis <seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com> wrote:
 I have a warehouse condition of a ‘X’ braced bay that is 31 feet high and
 42 feet wide.  The diagonal length is over 51 feet.   I’m wondering if I
 should try to use the bracing as one large bay, or add a wind column in
 the middle and have two smaller bays.  The bracing is tension only for
 wind loads.  The load in the diagonal is about 21 kips.  What makes me
 most uneasy is the slenderness ratio of the brace.  If I try to limit the
 L/r ratio of the out of plane axis to 300 then I get extremely large
 angles.  If I ad a column I add almost 50% more bracing length, plus
 column and footing.

 Thanks for your insight.

 Rich

(See attached file: attzatkf.dat)