From: Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com>
To: SEAINT <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Roof panel safety factors

I am involved in a project where we are reviewing the attachment of
light gage steel roof panels to 3/4" OSB.  The project is on an island
surrounded by the ocean in all directions (130 mph, Exposure D).  The
vendor has supplied the test data for the steel clip and we are
discussing what sort of safety factor to use.  At another firm we
routinely used a safety factor of the 3, so the allowable loads where
1/3 the value of the tested ultimate value.  The roofing vendor is
choking at the SF = 3 since the wind pressures were grossly
underestimated in the program he used.  Does anyone know how the ICC
applies a safety factor when evaluating roof panels and fasteners?

\