Re: Night Shift duty for my computer - and beyond...

Joel and Meg,
Thank you very much for you response.
I will try out this lead.

As regards your views on X steel models being sold, use of Rebis software, etc,  seeing the condition of the architectural  and structural dwgs these days, I very much doubt if this method will ever be successful for the vast majority of projects in the construction market.

It may work for structures with standard geometry made by firms who specialize in them and where archtiects, GCs, Mechanical Contractors, Suppliers of Roof top units etc are not involved. An example that comes readily to my mind is transmission line tower structures.

I am sure that in these projects, a detailer can be eliminated if the engineer models it and also generates the detail dwgs.

For the rest of the common commercial structures, that account for the bulk of the investments in construction, as long as the present system continues, as long as each party involved, like the Architect, structural engineer, Civil contractor, Deck supplier, joist supplier, Rtu supplier limits himself to only his scope, and is unwilling to involve more fully, and as long no  project manager respresenting the ultimate paying  client and answerable directly to him along is involved,   a detailer is essential. He is today doing much more than detailing.

I have already stopped feeling frustrated and angry at the state of affairs. I have instead learned to be proud of my scope and know for certain that if I don't cooperate, the project cannot be successfully completed. The only issue that I have to sort out is how to get more for the extra services I am doing. Convincing fabricators that we are shouldering a major part of their burden is not as difficult as persuading them to pay a little extra for it.

A recent mail from Paul in the steel detailers list bears out what I am saying.
One in six out of every project I now do is like the project that Paul described.
My most unforgettable nightmare is a project that yielded only 19.1 tons of steel, involved over 40 dwgs  and dragged on for 7 months and was detailed and re detailed over and over agian. Today what is in place bears no resemblance to the original architect's and structural dwgs and I can morally stake a claim to being the anonymous unknown and unsung architect cum designer cum detailer cum project manager for that job sitting on the other side of the globe.
My reward?
This fabricator is hooked permanently. He wont go to anyone else as long as I am available. He whines about occasional errors in our dwgs but has not back charged us even a single dollar so far.

Detailers are today indispensable. You can engrave that in stone.

Regards
Vish

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.