Re: Code Costs, Redux

Keep in mind that the IRC is a prescriptive code.  It is not really
"meant" for engineering use.  I believe that much of its use is limited to
low to moderate seismic use.  Thus, it is entirely possible that you maybe
"forced" into the IBC instead of the IRC in California anyways.

The point is that if your house project ends up outside the prescriptive
limits of the IRC, then you will have to design the home per the IBC.  And
my guess is such that many California homes (especially custom design
jobbies) will not fall under the IRC.  So, I am betting that you may not
need it as much as you first assume.

And I would second Harold's belief that your are suffering (or will be
soon) from UBC withdrawl.  As he correctly points out, you have not had
ANY real code expenses as you have "lagged" with the 97 UBC for so long.
So, get over it and welcome to the club!  ;-)

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI