From: Ehrlich, Gary [mailto:gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 10:18 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Code Costs, Redux

The IRC structural provisions can be used to design a house up through
Seismic Design Category D (which they divide into three subcategories:
D0, D1 and D2).  You're only automatically tossed into the IBC
structural provisions for Seismic Design Category E.

There are limits on irregularities (split-levels, cantilevers, offset
shear/braced walls) for Category C and for D0-D2 which will also kick
you out to the IBC for structural design.

It should be noted that the Building Seismic Safety Council has been
fairly effective on getting seismic detailing requirements from the
NEHRP provisions implemented in the IRC.

Gary

Gary J. Ehrlich, PE
1201 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005
ph: 202-266-8545  or 800-368-5242 x8545
fax: 202-266-8369
gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.com