RE: Concrete Masonry Walls

The practice of installing joints in masonry walls
varies considerably.  It is my understanding that the
recommendations for regular vertical joints were based
on lightly reinforced walls that were partially
grouted.

In California where we tend to grout all cells and put
a fair amount of reinforcing in the cells there are
quite a number of long CMU walls with no joints.  In
general they perform well and do not have the problems
of the lightly reinforced walls.