Re: Glass railing

I don't think this is going to work with just a bolt in the lower corners of the glass, your stresses are going to be way to high.  You need a continuous shoe for the glass to frame into if its a cantilever glass guardrail, and the glass needs to be about 4 feet long in the shoe to work to handle the 200 pount point load at the top of the glass railing (especially if its only 1/2" thick glass).  There are design requirements in the UBC and IBC for glass railings that a lot of people either don't know about or choose to ignore.  I have seen the glass work with a bolt in each corner it you have a continuous rail above the glass to act as the guard rail, and the glass is just an infill panel between the top and bottom continuous rails between vertical steel stanchions.

Michael Cochran SE

-----Original Message-----
From: Tarek Mokhtar
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 6:48 pm
Subject: Glass railing

Does anybody know of a way to calc glass panels acting as deck guardrails that are supported
only at the lower two corners by bolts? I have seen them around, just not sure how to make them
work, or if somebody is interested in taking the job, please email me privately

Thanx in advance
--
Tarek Mokhtar, SE
Laguna Beach, CA