Re: ASCE 7-05 Errors

Don't get all worked up, Scott. I actually like some of the new wind provisions - or at least the expanded charts for special cases that didn't used to be covered. The seismic provisions are a bit daunting, but since I'm an east-coaster they look scary because I don't regularly get deep into them.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get an updated digital copy of the spec for those of us who purchased the manual on CD? Updating the hard copy is tedious, updating the PDF is beyond frustrating (at least using adobe's built in note tools).  I think the newest IBC pdf, though annoyingly hobbled by DRM, appears to have the capability to download updates, though I can't get it to function. That would be quite a nice feature, indeed!
Jordan

Scott Maxwell wrote:
You want it shorter...no problem...just rip out the commentary and now
your ASCE 7 will only be about 250 pages.  Of course, then you will
complain how you cannot understand the provisions.

My point was that of 400 pages there was only about the equivalent of
about 8 or so FULL pages of errors.  That is about a 2 percent error rate.
I don't consider that too bad.  Could it be better?  Yes.  But if you are
going to call them out on it, then you should at least make sure that your
error rate on things that you do (i.e. your drawings, your spec sections,
your calcs) is significantly better.

I am not saying that ASCE 7 is perfect.  Far from it.  Some of the wind
load provisions in my opinion are obscenely complex.  But, if you are
going to complain about it, then get off your rear end and be part of the
solution rather than just tossing complaints from cyberspace.  And you
don't even have to be on the committee to "be part of it".  You can just
be aware enough of when the public comment period is for revisions and get
a copy of the proposed changed to review and if appropriate comment on.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI