Torquing of bolts by the bolt head

I am connecting  several new steel beams into an existing structure.  Due to the confined space of some of the connections access to the nuts of the bolted connections is limited. Therefore  nuts are pre-welded to one side of the connection and the bolts are inserted by the other side. Question? Can the bolts be torqued or pre-tensioned by turning the head of the bolt rather than the nut.  A washer is installed on the head side of the connection.  I don't think there is a difference as long as the washer is installed behind the head.

Thanks in advance

Mike
CIMA + Laval
Structures- Energie