Harold Sprague

From: "Michael Laplante" <Michael.Laplante(--nospam--at)cima.ca>
To: <SEAINT(--nospam--at)SEAINT.ORG>
CC: <jacques.caron(--nospam--at)cima.ca>
Subject: Torquing of bolts by the bolt head
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 15:48:48 -0400

I am connecting  several new steel beams into an existing structure.
Due to the confined space of some of the connections access to the nuts
of the bolted connections is limited. Therefore  nuts are pre-welded to
one side of the connection and the bolts are inserted by the other side.
Question? Can the bolts be torqued or pre-tensioned by turning the head
of the bolt rather than the nut.  A washer is installed on the head side
of the connection.  I don't think there is a difference as long as the
washer is installed behind the head.

Thanks in advance

Mike
CIMA + Laval