Code errata

Are errata lists part of the code? Are they being adopted by the local governing jurisdictions? How does errata become law, like the code?

If volunteers write the code, why are hundreds of dollars of fees being charged for even down-loading it's electronic file? (no printing costs). Each errata could be a complete recopy of the whole code with the changed print red-lined dated and with approval identification. I could understand paying about $10 for the the cost of a web site.

The authors and web sites for the errata get more recognition than the volunteers writing the code.

David Merrick, SE