From: IRV FRUCHTMAN [mailto:ifaeng(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 12:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Braced Wall vs Shear Wall

Fellow Engineers:
I'm working on a new residence that looks like a vertically stacked pair
of railroad flats - each 20 ft wide x 80 ft long. Here by the ocean, the
design wind speed is 112 mph. The architect's wall plan meets the
presently allowed 2000 IRC wall bracing construction method. By August
this house comes under the 2006 IBC and requires shear wall
construction. I'd like to provide shear walls and look for a way to
convince the
owner to spend the extra $10k(?).
Thanks for any advice,
Irv