From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:02 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ASCE 7-05 Errors

You want it shorter...no problem...just rip out the commentary and now
your ASCE 7 will only be about 250 pages.  Of course, then you will
complain how you cannot understand the provisions.

My point was that of 400 pages there was only about the equivalent of
about 8 or so FULL pages of errors.  That is about a 2 percent error
rate.
I don't consider that too bad.  Could it be better?  Yes.  But if you
are
going to call them out on it, then you should at least make sure that
your
error rate on things that you do (i.e. your drawings, your spec
sections,
your calcs) is significantly better.

I am not saying that ASCE 7 is perfect.  Far from it.  Some of the wind
load provisions in my opinion are obscenely complex.  But, if you are
going to complain about it, then get off your rear end and be part of
the
solution rather than just tossing complaints from cyberspace.  And you
don't even have to be on the committee to "be part of it".  You can just
be aware enough of when the public comment period is for revisions and
get
a copy of the proposed changed to review and if appropriate comment on.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI