Re: Structural Can of Worms

I got lost a couple of times in there, but I think I got the the idea. Anyway - embed the trellis posts in the ground as an inverted pendulum structure with your 1:1 cantilever. Make a soft joint or a minimal joint - or no joint if possible - at the roof (the trellis still has mass, even if the gravity load is zero, and will impart load under a seismic event).

Not sure about the kitchen. Sometimes, the most complicated thing for an engineer to do is to tell a client no. There are conditions where a modification cannot be economically accomplished, or a repair is not feasible. Good luck with the project.

Jordan