RE: Sole plate nailing

I believe the concept is to get the shear to transfer into the rim/block and so I’d guess not.  FTR, I rarely even use nails anymore for that transfer.  I nearly can’t get it to calc unless the loads are pretty low and for some reason, and it often requires fatter wood to get enough meat to catch all the nails and limit shiners.

In addition, and this is perhaps even more important, spec-ing nails sometimes gets lost between the plan and the execution.  I’ve found that for some reason it is one of the most missed items in the framing process.  I therefore exclusively spec SDS screws because it’s a specific after-erection activity.  Mentally for the carpenters then, it becomes more like installing HDs and straps and less like wall framing and nail off.  Also, when I conduct structural observation visits, through all the sawdust the debris, I automatically either see them or I don’t, cuz they are nice and shiny.

-DB

From: ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:14 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Sole plate nailing

When a sole plate for a wall is nailed to a wood floor, is the plywood on the joist or rim joist considered a part of the nail penetration or does the required penetration have to be into the joist or rim joist? UBC requires 16d's but with a 15/32" or 19/32" plywood floor diaphragm and a 1.1/2" sole plate, the 1.94" (12*D, NDS) required penetration into the joist is not met. NDS 12.3.4 specifies the penetrations is "..into the main member.."

S.Macie, P.E.

SLO,CA

See what's free at AOL.com.