From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:44 am
Subject: Re: Sole plate nailing

Jordan,
California is still under the 1997 UBC, which still makes use of the 1991
DS.  And the 1991 NDS has the 12d penetration requirement for full
apacity (see section 12.3.4 of the 1991 NDS).  So, yes, they kind of do
ave a different NDS as most of the rest of us are at the 2001 NDS (or at
east the 1997 NDS) and some will be up to the 2005 NDS soon if not
lready.
Regards,
Scott
drian, MI

n Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:
> It took me three readings to figure this question out. Not you fault - I
 promise - its just that hit on several sore spots at once. Tell me if
 this example is what your looking for: When you nail a plate to the deck,
 the nail first penetrates about 3/4" of plywood, and then penetrates
 (nail length - plate - 3/4") into the joist or rim.  As a result, a 3.25"
 nail will only penetrate 1" into the joist or rim, which is less than the
 full 10D required for full value. For the NDS 2005 tables, 6D is the
 minimum penetration, so for a 16d common, hand driven nail, the
 penetration into the member below the subfloor is not sufficient for the
 NDS.

 In my opinion, the subfloor should count as penetration into the main
 member. It just so happens that your main member is now a composite
 material, but by taking the lower of the two densities you should be okay
 (most engineered G is around 0.50, right? matches DF, lower than SP,
 higher than HF or SPF).  This, of course, has a caveat - the connection
 between the subfloor and the rim must be sufficient to transfer the load
 applied.

 BTW - does the west coast have a different NDS? Mine (in the tables, note
 3 iirc) says 10D penetration and 6D minimum, same as wood screws, or is
 there something somewhere else

  Jordan

 ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
       When a sole plate for a wall is nailed to a wood floor, is
       the plywood on the joist or rim joist considered a part of
       the nail penetration or does the required penetration have to
       be into the joist or rim joist? UBC requires 16d's but with a
       15/32" or 19/32" plywood floor diaphragm and a 1.1/2" sole
       plate, the 1.94" (12*D, NDS) required penetration into the
       joist is not met. NDS 12.3.4 specifies the penetrations is
       "..into the main member.."
 S.Macie, P.E.
 SLO,CA

 Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be
 re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site

   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp

   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:

   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp

   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you