RE: LL on roof with solar panels.

Gary,

If it is a sloping roof, I wouldn't concern myself with the added weight assuming that the roof was orignially designed for a code required live load. If it is a flat roof, I would check for both the required live load and the new solar panel dead load combined. My logic is that the roof live load would account for some unusual lodaing such as ponding water if a roof drain clogged up.

Larry Hauer S.E.

From: garyg(--nospam--at)structuralstuff.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: LL on roof with solar panels.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:34:51 -0400 (EDT)

When you have flat panel solar panels on a roof, is there still a need to apply the roof live load to the supporting members?  I've always been taught that yes it would still be required but common sense says that since the solar panels are glass, it is unlikely that there will be any live load while the panels are in place.

All opinions are welcome.

Gary Grinstead, SE

Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01