Re: ASCE 7-05 Errors

"And I will ask again...are YOUR documents that YOU produce always 100% "accurate?"

It is not a perfect world. I sure do agree that none of the documents we produce are error free. But I must also add that the drawings that we produce are done not once every 3-4 years but over a short period of time under immense time constraints. I am not trying to say that time is an excuse but it is to be considered.

People producing documents, which we engineers refer to every single day, must take a little more care in producing them with as few errors as possible. Again, keeping the legalities of everything in mind, how liable are the code authorities if there is an error in the document? Are we, as end-users, the people who are responsible for our design if we follow a published erroneous document? I think it all boils down to CYA.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but someone has to be accountable. There have been countless documents that have been taken off publication. I second the opinion that the code revisions not be a change made just because something has to be changed every 3-4 years. Change only when something is necessary, not because it has to be.

Cheers
Anantha

ANANTHA NARAYAN, E.I.
Structural Engineer