RE: ASCE 7-05 Errors

Scott -

I have to agree with the responses who believe that a "standard" should be
held to a higher QA process than a one-off project related document. An
error in a construction document produces one error. An error in a standard
produces one error for every time that error is referenced. That's why we
(should) charge more when we produce a document that is going to be used
multiple times (think tract or modular housing). An error on these documents
is more sever than an error on a set of plans for a single custom home.

Of course, no matter how sophisticated the QA process becomes, there will
still be errors. After all, it's created by humans. I do think the
correction process could be better. After all, how does one find out that
there are errata? The only way I found out is by this list. I think it would
be better if the document was published as loose leaf, a subscription card
included so that one can get periodic updates.

My two cents. Spend it as you wish.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers