RE: ASCE 7-05 Errors

Bill,

I certainly agree that many code organizations do a lousy job of
publicizing changes and errata.  Most are terrible about letting engineers
know about their public commment periods for purposed changed.  While I do
believe to some degree it is your and my reponsibility to seek this
information out, I also believe that the organizations need to be better
at putting the information out there.

There are too many engineers that expect everything to come to them on a
nice silver platter.  It would be a nice "plus" to have an organization
have some sort of email list that would let you and me know of errata, etc
(i.e. say ASCE created an email list to notify people of errata and public
commment periods of ASCE 7), but the truth is that it is still your and my
responisbility to check to see if there is an errata.  Does the state of
California send you an email or letter everytime they change a law or
speed limit, etc?  Nope.  It is your responsibility as a citizen to be
aware of such changes.  The state must do some "reasonable" notification,
but such notifications are usually just notice in some newspaper or on
some website...if you don't visit that website or read that paper, then
you won't be notified.  The same is true here for codes and other
standards.

As to ways to better "add in" the corrections, you do have a valid issue
to some degree.  I will agree that it is rather tough sometimes to mark up
all the corrections from an errata to a bound book.  But, a loose leaf is
not necessarily the answer.  I personally don't like loose leaf codes...I
like the bound versions better.  I am sure that there are others like me.
I will be the first to admit that I am not sure how to solve this issue.

As I said in a previous post, my issue is usually all the people taking
shots from the cheap seats, so to speak.  I see a lot of people complain
about stuff, but when they are given the chance to actually DO something
that might change things, I rarely see much action.  My personal view is
that if you are SO bothered by these things, then why not get involved and
try to fix the problems that you see?

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI